Biography JOSHUA ABAH ABAH is a young Nigerian researcher and a vibrant academic. He holds a First Class Honours Bachelor of Science (Education) in Statistics and Computer Science, and a Master of Education in Mathematics Education, both from the prestigious University of Agriculture Makurdi, Nigeria. He is currently enrolled for a PhD in Mathematics Education at the same University. He is a Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics Education, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria. His Research interests are in Mathematics Education, Instructional Design, Statistical Computing, Ethnomathematics, and Technology of Mathematics Education. He is presently working on the deployment of culture-based technological solutions in the teaching and learning of mathematics. He believes that a good blend of digital technology and ethnomathematics enriches mathematics education in general.
Memberships 1. Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM)
2. International Education and Research Network (iEARN)
Publications A: THESES
1. Abah, J. A. (2008). Effect of Co-operative Learning Strategy on the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics in Secondary Schools in Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State. B.Sc.(Ed) Statistics and Computer Science Research Project Submitted to Department of Science Education, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria.
2. Abah, J. A. (2017). Impact of cloud services on students’ attitude towards mathematics education in public universities in Benue State, Nigeria. M.Ed Mathematics Education Thesis Submitted to Department of Science Education, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria.
3. (Ongoing): Design, Implementation and Assessment of a Web-Based Ethnomathematics Instructional Content Repository for Pre-Service and In-Service Mathematics Teachers in Benue State, Nigeria. Ongoing PhD Mathematics Education Thesis at Department of Science Education, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria.
B: PAPERS IN EDITED & PEER-REVIEWED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
1. Iji, C. O., Abah, J. A. & Uka, N. K. (2013). Attaining the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) through effective mathematics education. in O. Abonyi (Ed.), Attaining the MDGs through STEM Education, Proceedings of the 54th Annual Conference of the Science Teachers Association of Nigeria (STAN), pp 99-107.
2. Iji, C. O., Abah, J. A. & Anyor, J. W. (2014). Enhancing national competitiveness through the utilization of cloud services to improve the learning of school mathematics. In J. S. Sadiku (Ed.), Proceedings of the September 2014 National Conference of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria (MAN), pp 230-243.
3. Iji, C.O. & Abah, J. A. (2016). Prospects of cloud computing as a safe haven for improving mathematics education in Nigeria. In A. Aderounmu & A. Sodiya (Eds.), Information Technology for National Safety and Security, Proceedings of the 26th National Conference of the Nigeria Computer Society held July 19-21, 2016, at Abuja, Nigeria. pp 106-114. [Available from: http://www.ncs.org.ng/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/NCS-Conference-2016-Proceedings-Information-Technology-for-National-Safety-Security.pdf ]
C: PUBLICATIONS IN LEARNED & PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
1. Abah, J. A., Iji, C. O. & Abakpa, B. O. (2018). Blown Away in the Wind of Change: Can Extinct School Folktales be awakened through Mathematics Storytelling in Nigerian Basic Education? International Journal on Emerging Mathematics Education (IJEME), 2(2), 165-178. [Available from: http://journal.uad.ac.id/index.php/IJEME/article/download/10561/pdf_28 ]
2. Iji, C. O. & Abah, J. A. (2018). Mathematics education for all through information technology innovations. ABACUS: The Journal of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria, 43(1), 89-100. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1409516
3. Abah, J. A. (2016). Recency bias in the era of big data: The need to strengthen the status of history of mathematics in Nigerian schools. Advances in Multidisciplinary Research Journal, 2(4), 241-248. A Publication of the International Centre for Information Technology & Development, Southern University, Baton Rouge, LA, USA. [Available from: http://media.wix.com/ugd/185b0a_9b1253273fea46768d1d96dcd03f4887.pdf ]
4.Iji, C.O., Abah, J. A. & Anyor, J.W. (2017). Impact of cloud services on students’ attitude towards mathematics education in public universities in Benue State, Nigeria. International Journal of Research in Education and Science (IJRES), 3(1), 228-244. A publication of the International Society for Research in Education and Science (ISRES). [Available from: http://dergipark.ulakbim.gov.tr/ijres/article/download/5000202010/5000179858 ]
5. Agbo-Egwu, A. O., Abah, J. A. & Anyagh, P. I. (2017). Sustaining attention in a rapidly changing world: A survey of the status among mathematics education students in Nigeria. Benue Journal of Mathematics and Mathematics Education, 2(4), 13-21. A Publication of the Benue Chapter of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria. [Available from: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01562287/document ]
6. Iji, C. O. & Abah, J. A. (2017). Exploring Gender Differences in Graduation Proficiency in Mathematics Education Using a Markov Chain Model: Implications for Economic Growth in Nigeria. International Journal of Educational Excellence, 3(2), 75-86. DOI: 10.18562/IJEE.028 . A publication of Sistema Universitario Ana G. Mendez (SUAGM), Universidad Metropolitana (UMET), Escuela de Educación, San Juan, PR 00928-1150, US. [Available at: http://www.anagmendez.net/umet/pdf/ijee_onwu_abah_3_2_75_86.pdf ]
7. Abakpa, B. O., Agbo-Egwu, A. O. & Abah, J. A. (2017). Emphasizing phenomenology as a research paradigm for interpreting growth and development in mathematics education. ABACUS: The Journal of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria, 42(1), 391-405. DOI 10.17605/OSF.IO/SGBZT [Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320066676_EMPHASIZING_PHENOMENOLOGY_AS_A_RESEARCH_PARADIGM_FOR_INTERPRETING_GROWTH_AND_DEVELOPMENT_IN_MATHEMATICS_EDUCATION ]
8. Abah, J. A., Anyagh, P. I. & Age, T. J. (2017). A flipped applied mathematics classroom: Nigerian university students’ experience and perceptions. ABACUS: The Journal of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria, 42(1), 78-87. [ Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320065760_A_FLIPPED_APPLIED_MATHEMATICS_CLASSROOM_NIGERIAN_UNIVERSITY_STUDENTS%27_EXPERIENCE_AND_PERCEPTIONS ]
9. Abah, J. A. (2017). Original higher education experience of graduating students of mathematics education in Nigeria: An autoethnographic approach. Education Journal, 6(6), 177-187. doi: 10.11648/j.edu.20170606.13 . A publication of Science Publishing Group, USA. [Available from: http://article.sciencepublishinggroup.com/pdf/10.11648.j.edu.20170606.13.pdf ]
10. Abah, J. A. (2017). Viewing basic math through the lens of history: Undergraduates’ reflective learning in a history-augmented mathematics classroom. Waikato Journal of Education, 22(4), 33-48. doi:10.15663/wje.v22i4.557 . A publication of Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educational Research, The University of Waikato, New Zealand. [Available from: http://www.wje.org.nz/index.php/WJE/article/view/557 ]
11. Abakpa, B. O., Abah, J. A. & Agbo-Egwu, A. O. (2018). Science Curiosity as a Correlate of Academic Performance in Mathematics Education: Insights from Nigerian Higher Education. African Journal of Teacher Education (AJOTE), 7(1), 36-52. DOI: 10.21083/ajote.v7i1.3904 A publication of SPREAD Corporation (Sustainable Programs for Reducing Educational and Avocational Disadvantages), University of Guelph, Canada. [Available from: https://journal.lib.uoguelph.ca/index.php/ajote/article/download/3904/4139 ]
12. Iji, C. O., Abah, J. A. & Anyor, J. W. (2018). Educational Cloud Services and the Mathematics Confidence, Affective Engagement, and Behavioral Engagement of Mathematics Education Students in Public Universities in Benue State, Nigeria. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 30(1), 47-60. A publication of The International Society for Exploring Teaching and Learning (ISETL), University of Georgia, USA. [Available from: http://www.isetl.org/ijtlhe/articleView.cfm?id=2825 ]
13. Agbo-Egwu, A. O., Abah, J. A. & Abakpa, B. O. (2018). Perceptions of tech-augmented learning in basic mathematics among university students: A case of matrix algebra tools. International Refereed Journal of Arts, Science & Commerce, 6(1), 121-131. [Available from: https://loop.frontiersin.org/publications/51890541 ]
14. Abah, J. A. (2018). The quest for statistical significance: Ignorance, bias and malpractice of research practitioners. International Journal of Research and Review, 5(3), 112-129. DOI: inrein.com/10.4444/ijrr.1002/539 [Available from: http://ijrrjournal.com/IJRR_Vol.5_Issue.3_March2018/IJRR0014.pdf ]
15. Abah, J. A. (2018). A mathematical portrayal of a Christmas carol for Nigerian basic education: The mathematics in the twelve days of Christmas. Indian Journal of Arts, 8, 43-57. A publication of The Discovery Scientific Society. [Available from: http://www.discoveryjournals.org/arts/current_issue/2018/A4.pdf ]
16. Anyagh, P. I., Honmane, O. & Abah, J. A. (2018). Secondary School Students’ Perception of Teachers’ Attitude towards Learning in Mathematics in Wukari Metropolis, Taraba State, Nigeria. International Journal of Research and Review, 5(5), 69-75. [Available from http://ijrrjournal.com/IJRR_Vol.5_Issue.5_May2018/IJRR0012.pdf ]
17. Agbo-Egwu, A. O., Abah, J. A. & Anyagh, P. I. (2018). The influence of smartphone over-dependence on the recall of basic mathematics among mathematics education students in a Nigerian university. Science & Technology, 4, 97-105. A publication of The Discovery Scientific Society. [Available from: http://www.discoveryjournals.org/sciencetech/Current_Issue/2018/A9.pdf ]
18. Abah, J. A., Age, T. J. & Okoronkwo, M. O. (2018). Returning responsibility to the home: Outcomes of background checks on low and high achievers in middle basic mathematics in North Bank suburb of Makurdi, Nigeria. Journal on Efficiency and Responsibility in Education and Science, 11(2), 29-37. A publication of Faculty of Economics and Management, Czech University of Life Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic. doi: 10.7160/eriesj.2018.110202. [Available from: https://www.eriesjournal.com/index.php/eries/article/download/190/163/ ]
19. Abah, J. A. (2018). Mathematics in the cultural practices of the Orokam people of Nigeria: Insights into the educational relevance of the i’tche game. International Journal for Innovative Research in Multidisciplinary Field, 4(6), 164-171. A publication of Research Culture Society. [Available from: http://www.ijirmf.com/wp-content/uploads/201806027.pdf ]
20. Abah, J. A., Awen, D. A. & Kuse, N. C. (2018). Correlating university students’ academic attainment and sense of hope in science education: A survey from a Nigerian university. International Journal of Education and Knowledge Management (IJEKM) 1(3), 1-17. A publication of Research Publishing Academy, London, UK. [Available at https://rpajournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/IJEKM-03-2018-8.pdf ]
21. Abah, J. A. (2018). Academic outcomes in language-dependent and computation-dependent courses among mathematics education students in a Nigerian university: Top-achievers still best of both extremes. Journal of Education & Social Science (JESS), 6(2), 64-81. DOI: 10.20547/jess0621806206. A publication of IQRA University, Karachi, Pakistan. [Available from https://geistscience.com/papers/view/JESS1806206 ]
22. Abah, J. A. (2018). Advocating mathematics teacher research prowess for improved professionalism. International Journal of Trends in Mathematics Education Research (IJTMER), 1(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.33122/ijtmer.v1i1.9. A publication of the Institute of Indonesian Education Studies (IIES Independent). [Available from http://ijtmer.com/index.php/ijtmer/article/view/9 ]
23.Naakaa, T., Abah, J. A. & Atondo, G. T. (2019). Influence of School Environmental Variables on Students’ Performance in Junior Secondary School Mathematics in Gwer-East Local Government Area of Benue State, Nigeria. International Journal of Research and Innovation in Social Science (IJRISS), 3(1), 61-70. A publication of Research and Innovation Society. [Available at https://www.rsisinternational.org/journals/ijriss/Digital-Library/volume-3-issue-1/61-70.pdf ]
24. Atondo, G. T., Abah, J. A. & Naakaa, T. (2019). Continuous assessment as a predictor of students’ achievement in mathematics at the junior secondary school level in Makurdi Local Government Area of Benue State, Nigeria. World Wide Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development, 5(2), 18-29. [Available at http://wwjmrd.com/upload/continuous-assessment-as-a-predictor-of-students-achievement-in-mathematics-at-the-junior-secondary-school-level-in-makurdi-local-government-area-of-benue-state-nigeria_1550478014.pdf ]
25. Iji, C. O. & Abah, J. A. (2019). Internet skills as a measure of digital inclusion among mathematics education students: Implications for sustainable human capital development in Nigeria. International Journal of Education and Knowledge Management (IJEKM) 2(1), 1-16. A publication of Research Publishing Academy, London, UK. [Available at https://rpajournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/IJEKM-01-2019-06.pdf ]
26.Abah, J. A. (2018). Low achievers and the quest for institutional standard in mathematics education: A phenomenology of subject matter experts’ opinions from Nigerian higher education. International Journal on Teaching and Learning Mathematics, 1(2), 1-15. Universitas Islam Negeri Maulana Malik Ibrahim, Indonesia. [Available from http://ejournal.uin-malang.ac.id/index.php/ijtlm/article/view/6338/pdf ]
27.Abah, J. A. (2019). Theoretical and Conceptual Framework for Digital Inclusion among Mathematics Education Students in Nigeria. In M. J. Adejoh, A. D. E. Obinne, & A. B. Wombo (Eds.), Global Perspectives on Educational Issues. Makurdi: College of Agricultural and Science Education, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria. pp 79-111.
28.Abah, J. A., Age, T. J. & Agada, G. I. (2019). Determinants of mathematics-related career choice among senior secondary school students in Makurdi metropolis, Benue State, Nigeria. International Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education (IJSSHE), 3(1), 1-16. [Available from http://www.ijsshe.com/index.php/ijsshe/article/view/75 ]
Specializations Mathematics Education
Research Archive 1. Google Scholar Profile URL: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=nJipeEYAAAAJ&hl=en
2. ORCID: 0000-0001-5485-9396 Profile URL: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5485-9396
3. Research Gate Profile URL: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joshua_Abah2
4. Academia Profile URL: http://iorbeegabriel.academia.edu/JOSHUAABAH
Responsibilities 1. Teaching
3. Examination Officer
4. Theses Supervision